A Taste Of the Real World

Students Trevor Knoll and William Thompson lead responsible work lives.

William Thompson(12), warms up a pan while preparing meals for Shogun Restaurant’s customers on September 28th, 2022. As a line cook he is gaining valuable experience that he plan to put to use later in life. Thompson is hoping to advance to Hibachi Chef, which will enable him to work more directly with customers, preparing table-side meals with flair.

Hunter McDaniel, Reporter

When they work, they work hard, and having a job is a common but important experience for teens who are interested in making it in the real world.

“I am a chef in the Kitchen,” says Trevor Knoll(12). Him and his best friend, William Thompson(12), both found jobs at Shogun Japanese Restaurant in Casper Wyoming, as kitchen chefs. 

Thompson, who started over a year and a half ago, shortly recruited Knoll, and the two have worked together ever since. “We work fairly well with each other,” said Thompson.

When it comes to maintaining each other’s personal growth and hard work, they don’t mess around. The restaurant industry has strict safety regulations about the preparation of food, and taking on the responsibility young is a useful skill in everyday life and even future careers. “(We are) responsible for making sure food is cooked safely and properly, and running (our) part of the kitchen,” explained Knoll. 

According to career planning website Zippia.com “Just under 30% of teens ages 16 to 19 had jobs in 2020.” That number has dropped since the early 2000s, most likely because of school work, activities and other priorities. Thompson and Knoll both find it important to find balance between work and school, and are prepared to graduate if they stay on the right track. 

“It makes school a lot more challenging but it makes it a lot easier to be under stress.” These two are faced with daily responsibilities and constant social interaction while at work. It is important to maintain positive relationships with coworkers, customers and management, as well as making sure all tasks are completed. Many of their social interactions are practiced during work, which “gives us a taste of the real world,” explained Knoll.