Senior photos: more than just posing for a camera

2022 Seniors must get their senior photo to Mr. Myers by December 15th.

Rosemary Brown

Alythia Johns’ chosen senior picture from the many Rosemary Brown had gathered during a photoshoot at Washington Park. While fighting against some of Yearbook’s regimens, such as keeping all photos vertical, Johns chose this picture because, “I like it. It shows my personality and what I love; nature and Jack Skellington.”

Emma Johns, Reporter

With the 15th of December deadline quickly approaching, the class of 2022 is preparing to send in their senior photos to the NCHS yearbook. Many of them already have. Though, it’s not as easy as it sounds. When paying for a professional photographer, students and/or parents have to pay in ranges of $89 and $300 – sometimes even more. Getting these photos delivered can also take almost up to a month, though some students report that their photos were delivered a little less than a week after the initial shoot.

There are indeed many ways to find photographers. Students can go online or even walk around downtown to find. However, for students who cannot or simply do not want to spend that sum of money for their senior photos, it is possible to find other solutions. Carson Gough, student at NC, explains “I have an ID picture. That’s all I’m doing.” While that is a solution, it’s not a preferred one. Some students resort to enlisting the help of a friend or family member more often than not. For students not hiring a pro photographer, getting tips on photo technique and location ideas can be one of the hardest parts. 

Rosemary Brown, a local photographer with five years experience, explained some of her own ideas during a recent interview. “Tips I would give is if you don’t feel comfortable taking a picture then you won’t look good, so make sure that you like the photo for you – if you don’t, chances are others won’t either. If you can’t afford a professional, find someone who enjoys the craft and if you can’t find someone like that just take a lot in different positions. Chances are you will like one of them.” Brown goes on to say that sites down by the river, at the mountain, or large parks like Washington Park are some of the best places to start taking pictures. But, while that may be the case, Brown presses that making sure the areas are basically empty of any other company is strongly suggested. “Even in those places, it is usually best to go when they’re not busy or people walking around can really ruin a good shot.”

Carl Myers, a teacher at NCHS and a frequent writer/photographer for outdoor magazines, also offers advice. Some of the aspects of photography that Myers stresses are the requirements for publication in the school yearbook.  Seniors must abide by the school dress code even if they are not on school grounds for the photo, and the photos must be vertical – a portrait landscape.  Grainy, unfocused, and over/underexposed images are a frequent issue. Beyond that, Myers’ tips are similar to Brown’s. “Trees, rivers, bridges, and parks are everywhere around town and offer good natural settings,” he explained. He also suggests seniors talk to Mr. Aitkenhead, an English teacher at NC that has taken portrait pictures for past seniors. Aitkenhead may be willing to help a student who otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford a portrait photographer.