The Student News Site of Natrona County High School

The Gusher

• NOV 18: Football Ball 7pm @ NCHS Commons
  • NOV 14, 16, and 18 at 7pm and 18 at 2pm: Fall Musical Guys and Dolls @ NCHS Auditorium

The Gusher

The Gusher

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Fillies Wrap Up a Competitive Volleyball Season

Kate Gillihan
Addy Powell attacks the net to block a hit from the KW side. The game ended in a loss. “Obviously it’s more fun to win, but I just enjoy being with the girls and competing,” said Cami Costello, middle hitter for the Fillies.

The Fillies varsity team faced fierce competition on their way to regionals, where they played Central in Sheridan. They ended with a total score of 10-19, 11th in the Wyoming Division 4A. “We had a little bit of a rough start, but I feel like as we got closer as a team, we saw improvement,” said Alizae Salinas, middle hitter and outside hitter for the Fillies. 

The Fillies had beginning season injuries giving fresh players time on the court, and experience out on the court. The team won the Silver bracket at the Gillette Invitational, and came back with an 0-2 win against Cheyenne Central at regionals. The Fillies beat them 3-2, though were unable to make to state. “Overall, we showed growth while gaining lots of varsity experience,” said Pam Hagar, junior varsity coach.

Shelby Baker, setter of the Fillies varsity team, gained more experience due to the beginning season injuries. “I played setter and I think being able to lead a team in a way made me a stronger person knowing how to stay stronger and focused during a nerve racking game and lifting others up at the same time.” She led her team by being more vocal on the court, and “being as positive as possible.” Baker noted that the season overall “was filled with a tremendous amount of failures and growth.” However, she made friendships with the girls. “Playing with varsity and being around older girls was a huge difference from freshman volleyball,” said Shelby. 

Within the season, Baker’s favorite part about playing on the team was traveling with them to games, hearing each other laugh at dinner, and throughout the hotel rooms. “The seniors this year were always positive and uplifting even if they were frustrated with anything.”

Overall, Baker’s experience with varsity volleyball was not wasted. “I am not unhappy with the end of the season but I wished the outcome could have been different. I would have loved to see the seniors play their last games up at the event center. I will be coming back next year and I am very very excited.” In volleyball, “stress is inevitable,” said Shelby, “so you just have to say calm and focused.” 

The Fillies may have had a challenging season, but they found opportunities for growth. When head coach Adrian McNamee was asked early in the season about her standout kids, she said “On any given day it can be any given kid. It’s not like it’s one person particularly. I think we have to learn to play as a team. If we can do that we’ll be ok.” Looking back on the season, it is evident her team did exactly that.