NCHS Celebrate Achievements with the 2021 Pride and Excellence Assembly and Barbecue

Calla Shosh

After the assembly, NCHS students and staff went outside for a school wide hour long barbecue. Students chose between hotdogs or hamburgers, with a variety of topping options. Many upperclassmen chose to stay on campus for the barbecue. Lines stretched around the block as hungry students were served lunch.

Calla Shosh, reporter

Students celebrate achievements  with the 2021 NCHS Pride and Excellence assembly. After a year dominated by Covid-19, students were able to celebrate their achievements with the first assembly of the year. The assembly began with a performance of the National Anthem.  After that, Pride and Excellence Awards were handed out to students. These awards were handed out to celebrate athletic excellence, extracurricular excellence, and academic excellence. Students received awards for achievements such as All-State music, record athletic performances, career training, and other notable achievements. Some journalism students also won excellence awards for their work on the yearbook and newspaper.

police officers stand in a line surrounded by orang and black decorations in a high school gym.
Officer Simons will be working on the police force with the Casper Police Department next year. At the NCHS Pride and Excellence assembly, Principal Harris gave Officer Charlie Simons an award for his service to NCHS as fellow police officers stood nearby. Officer Simons will be missed at NCHS. (Calla Shosh)

After the Pride and Excellence awards, the NCHS Drum Line performed. With their energetic performance, they livened up the assembly. Next, Principal Harris gave Officer Charlie Simons an award for his service to NCHS. Then, the Treblemakers (an all female choir) performed. Afterwards, Principal Harris received the “Most Influential Principal” award, while Mr. Honken made a speech.

After the assembly, NCHS students and staff went outside for the hour long barbecue. Students chose between hot dogs or hamburgers, with a variety of topping options. Many upperclassmen chose to stay on campus for the barbecue, as teachers mingled with students. 

teachers sit at a table during a barbecue.
After the NCHS Pride and Excellence assembly, teachers relaxed outside during the barbecue. The hour long lunch allowed teachers to mingle with students. This barbecue was a fun way to celebrate student’s achievements and Seniors’ last day. (Calla Shosh)

Students had mixed feelings about the assembly. When asked about his favorite part of the assembly, Spencer Anda, a sophomore, said “I’d say the award for the officer that’s leaving.” Izabella Garris, a sophomore, said that “I didn’t really have a favorite part.”  Another sophomore Kaylye Ruiz said, “I mean, I really didn’t have a favorite moment, it’s just that it’s just another assembly I felt like. Really… we have so many assemblies sometimes that it’s hard to sit through sometimes with so much talking.” When asked if this assembly was special as the first one this year, Ruiz replied,  “Kinda but it was so long though, cause we usually have short ones, but it kinda made it a little bit longer. That just made it kinda hard to sit through.”

2 male high school students walk around campus. Behind them a line for barbecue stretches around the block.
After the assembly, NCHS students and staff went outside for a school wide hour long barbecue. Students chose between hot dogs or hamburgers, with a variety of topping options. Many upperclassmen chose to stay on campus for the barbecue. Lines stretched around the block as hungry students were served lunch. (Calla Shosh)

Though the assembly may have seemed long and pointless to some students, for the NCHS Seniors, it was a day to remember for years to come.