IB tests loom over NC students

Abby Gruner

IB students value time to study in class: Brynley LaChance (12) and Isabella Brown (12) study for their IB history test schedule for May 4/5, 2021. Brown is an IB Diploma Candidate and has seven tests to study for. Both seniors will continue to study at home and in class until their tests.

Abby Gruner, Editor

Two IB history students study for their IB history test.
IB students value time to study in class:
Brynley LaChance (12) and Isabella Brown (12) study for their IB history test schedule for May 4/5, 2021. Brown is an IB Diploma Candidate and has seven tests to study for. Both seniors will continue to study at home and in class until their tests. (Abby Gruner)

IB students at NC feel the pressure of their IB tests scheduled to begin April 29, 2021. For juniors and seniors taking the tests, the three snow days this year came at a cost. While most celebrated the three days off, IB students dreaded the loss of class time to prepare for the tests that go on as scheduled regardless of snow days. These tests cover up to two years worth of material and require students to review material covered almost two years ago. IB teachers and students were already pressed for time due to time lost last year during quarantine, so the loss of three days added to the stress they are experiencing.

Throughout the year, students and teachers questioned whether or not there would even be IB tests. Because the International Baccalaureate (IB) program is a worldwide program, it was doubtful if tests would be allowed to be administered in some places but not others. Eventually, IB decided in March 2021 that tests would be administered in some schools but not others depending on each school’s circumstances surrounding the pandemic. In IB’s most recent Covid-19 update it said, “For those schools who are unable to administer exams, the IB has provided guidelines for teachers to award predicted grades.” 

Admittedly, many NC IB students were hoping that the exams would get cancelled. When asked if she hoped the tests would get cancelled full IB senior Isabella Brown said, “I think everyone was.”

However, the tests are happening and some students, specifically the Diploma Candidates or “full IB” students, have up to seven different tests to study for. Many of the subjects require more than one session worth of testing, so students may have to go to the Pathways Innovations Center (PIC) where the tests are being administered multiple times for each subject. 

What are IB students’ study plans? Brown who is testing in seven subjects said, “My plan will be to put in a lot of time studying, but it probably won’t happen.” Caleb Sundquist (12) is testing in four IB subjects and said that he will spend much more time studying two of his subjects, biology and history, than the other two, English and math. 

Although the students hoped the tests would be cancelled, many such as Sudquist ultimately knew they would go on. For IB students testing this May, as IB history teacher Bob Ewings told his black D IB history class, “The real work starts now.”