Oil Bowl Pep Assembly Prepares NC Students for Coming Game

Calla Shosh

NC student Isabella Keith recovers from the Oil Bowl Relay. The relay participants raced to the other side while doing the wheelbarrow and the crab walk, among others. the relay, the Fighting Mustang Marching Band played the school song.

Calla Shosh, Reporter

NC student Isabella Keith recovers from the Oil Bowl Relay.
Calla Shosh
NC cheerleaders perform for Oil Bowl Pep Assembly.
Calla Shosh
NC cheerleaders perform for Oil Bowl Pep Assembly. They practiced from 6:00 am -7:30 am every day to prepare. There were several missed catches, though no one was seriously injured. Afterwards, the senior football players were introduced.
NC football players perform "Football Ballet".
NC Football players perform the “Football Ballet” at the Oil Bowl Pep Assembly. The Oil Bowl has been played for 55 years. Gary Winthrope an NC freshman said that his favorite part of the assembly was “the football players with their dancing”.
NC dance Team Performs at Oil Bowl
Calla Shosh
The NC Dance Team dances to the song Another One Bites the Dust at he Oil Bowl pep assembly. The dance team also practices from 6:00am – 7:30 every morning. Afterward, the cheerleaders performed to the song I Like It by Cardi B.

One of the many chances for the NC Mustangs to compete against their rival the KW Trojans, the Oil Bowl, has a long history of being an important game. A unique event, the fifty-fifth Oil Bowl on October 11, 2019 will forever be one to remember. The first event celebrating the Oil Bowl was the pep assembly. The event kicked off with the dance team performing to the song Another one Bites the Dust, in orange football jerseys. The dance team practiced at 6:00am -7:30 every day to perfect the dance.

Next the cheerleaders took the floor, cheering to the song I Like It by Cardi B. Coincidentally, that day also happened to be the rapper’s birthday. They attempted to balance while holding signs, on the hands of their fellow cheerleaders. Unfortunately there were a few tumbles, though no one was seriously injured.

The senior football players were then introduced. The senior football players represented the diversity of the sport, with Joao Mendes Chagas, an exchange student from Brazil playing with the team for the Oil Bowl. This was his first game of American Football. Following the introductions, the football players performed the “Football Ballet” for crowd entertainment. A Freshman, Gary Winthrope said that his favorite part of the assembly was “the football players with their dancing”. Football players wore orange tutus over their football jerseys as they began their dance. The ballet, complete with lifts, pirouettes, and arabesques, was a success, judging from the crowds reactions.

After the ballet, the flags were brought in and the National Anthem played. The football players chased down a green Trojan (NC junior Macy Sale) who had wandered into the gym. After removing the Trojan, the event continued. The football players participated in a tug of war; seniors v.s. coaches. The seniors won the tug of war possibly due to their larger numbers. Next, a relay race with members of the crowd took place. Participants had to race down to their team member while doing things such as the “army crawl”, “bunny hop”, and the “wheelbarrow.” The race concluded with toilet papering a team member.

As students headed out the doors, full of pep, the school song was played by the Fighting Mustang Marching Band.