White Days

2019-2020 Schedule Change

Laurel Bell, Reporter

Photo taken by: Laurel Bell
The new NC bell schedule that really changes how the days and weeks go about. For the year of 2019-2020 this schedule will be in effect all year and possibly longer unless announced otherwise. This includes PIC, normal and Friday bell schedules. 

This year is the second year that the final construction has been done and NC has been a complete school. Although schedules have varied from year to year, the addition of white days has made the 2019-20 class schedule one of the greatest variations. Comparing the classes of students that have been here over the years, seniors have experienced the most schedule changes.

In 2017-2018 the schedule was a 35 minute MC with 79-82 minute long classes each followed by a 7 minute long passing period.  For this schedule and the schedules in previous years, construction going on was the main causes for having the schedules as they were. 2017-18 continued the block schedule with alternating orange and black days.

During the end of the 2018-19 school year white days were just a rumor, but the 2019-20 school schedule made this rumor a reality.  On Fridays, students now attend all classes except MC to better balance orange and black classes. This makes it possible for every class to have equal opportunities to finish assignments and other work during the week. 

Every class is shortened to 44-45 minutes on Fridays. PIC classes follow the same schedule, but start 20 minutes earlier to have the extra 20 minutes to travel back for their first black class. Physical education classes are excessively shortened with having to take around, but not exactly, 5 minutes altogether to change at the beginning and end of class. Because of this, classes only have enough time to do limited workouts compared to a normal length class. 

The opinions about the addition of white days of NC students and staff vary. These opinions can be especially negative when it comes to those who were used to a previous schedule. Teachers and students who travel back and forth between two buildings for their classes can face difficulties in shifting from one to the other. Also, it can be difficult for many teachers to create plans for classes that are half as long as they are used to.

Freshmen came into this year having experienced different schedules depending on what middle school they went to. Some middle schools such as Dean Morgan have block schedules whereas others, such as CCA (Casper Classical Academy), have all eight classes every day.

Both freshmen and upperclassmen alike had to adjust to the 2019-20 schedule.