The Student News Site of Natrona County High School

The Gusher

• NOV 18: Football Ball 7pm @ NCHS Commons
  • NOV 14, 16, and 18 at 7pm and 18 at 2pm: Fall Musical Guys and Dolls @ NCHS Auditorium

The Gusher

The Gusher

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Semi collides with speech and debate bus

No major injuries were reported
According+to+Arik+Harper%2C+co-team+captain+of+NCs+speech+and+debate+team%2C+this+image+he+took+after+the+crash+shows+the+semi+that+hit+his+teams+bus%2C+as+well+as+a+road+sign+the+bus+crashed+into+after+being+hit.+The+driver+of+the+semi+swerved+to+the+left+as+an+attempt+to+avoid+a+collision%2C+but+still+ended+up+hitting+the+back+left+corner+of+the+bus%2C+said+Harper.+
courtesy Arik Harper
According to Arik Harper, co-team captain of NC’s speech and debate team, this image he took after the crash shows the semi that hit his team’s bus, as well as a road sign the bus crashed into after being hit. “The driver of the semi swerved to the left as an attempt to avoid a collision, but still ended up hitting the back left corner of the bus,” said Harper.

A semi truck rear-ended a bus carrying the speech and debate team to a meet in Green River. The crash happened Friday morning on I-80 near Creston Junction. No major injuries were involved, but team members were transported to a nearby hospital to be checked and were later released to return home.

According to reports, the bus was slowing down due to congested traffic from a different accident, when a semi failed to stop and hit the back end of the bus. “I looked behind us and saw a blue semi headed towards us, not thinking much other than he was fast. Thought for sure he was gonna stop,” said senior and co-team captain Arick Harper. “The driver of the semi swerved to the left as an attempt to avoid a collision, but still ended up hitting the back left corner of the bus.”

Senior and co-team captain Beau Griffith praised the bus driver who was transporting the team. “He really is the best bus driver we could have asked for. Even after breaking his nose he was consciously thinking about us and how to keep us safe. Without him, our injuries would have been so much more serious,” said Griffith.

A KW debate team was traveling to the same meet and not far behind the NC team when the crash happened. The driver of that bus stopped to provide assistance and eventually both teams returned home on the KW bus. “We are thankful for our coaches, the bus driver, and the first responders, as well as the Kelly Walsh Speech and Debate Team for canceling their trip as well to bring us home,” said Harper.

Both teams missed the meet in Green River, but according to Harper it is not expected to have a major impact on their competitive season.

“I think the (team) is in shock. Right now, it hasn’t fully hit us. I know when we go to school on Monday and people are constantly asking if we are ok, we are going to start to realize what really happened,” said Griffith.