Reality Shifting becoming more popular due to Marvel Movies influence

Ashlyn Cooper, Reporter

The following is an ongoing series about complex and philosophical consciousness. 

What is Reality Shifting? A simple way to explain this concept is that anyone can explore any potential reality that could ever be, using their awareness. An implication of quantum physics, the concept of reality shifting has become more popular as Marvel entertainment has started to use it as a plot device in ongoing storylines.

Although reality shifting may seem absurd, to really understand this idea, it’s helpful to know where it comes from. Reality Shifting, or Quantum Jumping, branches from Quantum Physics. This type of physics is a science that goes in depth with quantum theories. Quantum theories are the theoretical basis of modern physics that explain the nature and behavior of energy and matter at the atomic and subatomic level. One part of Quantum Physics shows us that every single potential that could ever be, exists. Whether it is in this universe or another.

Alexandria Huss, an NCHS student familiar with reality shifting, stated that “From what I know, putting it into weird terms it could be construed as wanted and controlled disassociation”. For a better visual representation, refer to some Marvel movies that show cosmic fields and consciousness, such as Ant Man and the Wasp when they travel into the quantum void beyond the atom world.

In the modern day, “Reality Shifting” has become a trend on social media, mostly through a young aged community. This does give people who are not familiar with the subject the impression of ‘even more of a reason not to bother with it.’ Even though well known scientists such as Albert Einstein have explained the science behind it and implied that Quantum Jumping can be considered a natural phenomenon. Einstein once said, “Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. This is not philosophy. This is physics”. Energy is everything and anything, including the reality an individual is in.

Reality Shifting is considered a phenomenon that came from the multiverse theory. Theoretical physicists suggest that there are infinite universes that contain everything that exist including the entirety of space, time, matter, energy, information and the physical laws and constants that describe them. In other words, there are infinite universes and possibilities within the infinite cosmos. 

The multiverse theory came from Hugh Everett in quantum mechanics. This theory claims that “A person envisions some desired result or state of being that is different from the existing situation, and by clearly observing that possibility and supplying sufficient energy, they can make a leap into that alternate reality”.     

In simple terms, this means that humans can essentially explore any reality in the cosmos with their consciousness. Whether it’s past, present, future, fictional, etc. 

It might seem more realistic to go to a parallel universe with slight changes to your life, rather than your favorite movie, but no matter what an individual perceives as real or fake, fun or boring, good or bad, does not destroy an existence. With this information, know that an individual would not be physically traveling across this universe, just becoming aware of their consciousness in another, leading to a “shift” in their state of being.

With little knowledge in general, the average person would be skeptical. Being open minded to the subject is entirely up to an individual, but with enough interest and experience, it can become someone’s favorite hobby. If you are interested in more, there will be another part published on 11/21/21 explaining more in depth of how it works.