Workers Steadily Move Through School Construction

Emma Johns

A worker makes adjustments under the new pool to fine-tune the amount of chlorine present in the water.

Emma Johns, Reporter

construction materials
Emma Johns

The bridge/pool on the NCHS campus has been quickly constructed around the promise of completion around the year’s second semester. Now, a promise nearly fulfilled, John Haass reports that both structures will be done by November 1st. John Haass is a former NC graduate that works as one of the main construction workers that have been building the bridge. The bridge will connect the pool to NC’s first floor. Many students are excited about this, especially members of the school’s swim team. One such member, Kaitlin Harris (a senior that has been on the swim team for 3 years now), explains, “I’m glad that the school took the steps to move forwards with new technology. Those of us on the team really appreciate the opportunity to have our own pool and not feel foreign in our rival’s pool. The bridge will be amazing for safety concerns and convenience, and overall improve the quality of the school. The construction does suck, but it won’t be a big deal to accommodate. Swim classes will be seriously impacted and improved with the convenience of having that space on campus. Swim practice and competition would also allow for new exciting competitive opportunities.”

Harris is not the only one to share such an excitement for the new improvements made to NCHS. Alexandria Moye-Worthen, another senior who is a former member of the swim team – having joined for her freshman and sophomore years, adds “I’m excited, and being on the swim team or in the swim classes will be easier, meaning longer periods to swim as we won’t have to wait on KW anymore.” Indeed, in the former years before the pool was introduced to the NCs campus, swim team members were made to come to school as early as 5-6 in the morning to be taken to Kelly Walsh high school, where they would quickly prepare for swim practice while still waiting for KW to finish using the same room. However, the swim team is not the only Mustangs that will be affected. PE classes in NC have a required swim lesson – ones that were held at the old YMCA pool areas. This brings complications of transport, time, and any possible stragglers that do not belong to the high school. Now, coming November 1st, students and staff will have some of the pressure taken off – leading to easier and more thorough swim regimens.

Construction workers