NC Dominates Another Oil Bowl

Natrona County kept their win-streak alive with a 5th consecutive victory.

NC players gather for celebration and photos after the game.

Lucas Braunersrither, Sports Reporter

NC clinched another Oil Bowl victory on Sept. 17th, reinforcing their dominance of the cross-town rivalry with a 5th consecutive win. The final score was 42-7.

The highlight of the night was NC’s defense, which held the Trojans from scoring until the 4th quarter. Standout defensive players Kaden Wilcox and Brendyn Nelson were standout players that helped the Mustangs limit any drives the Trojans made, until the decision was made to play the second string at the end of the 4th quarter. When asking what helped the Mustangs win the game, student and player Billy Brenton explained that “teamwork and (the fact) we trust each other” were big pieces. Offensive highlights included Luke Spencer’s, Kaden Wilcox, and Wyatt Powell’s touchdowns.

The history of the Oil Bowl dates back to 1965. NC’s biggest win was 51-0 and KW’s biggest win was 28-0. Mustangs biggest games streak is 10 games in a row. 

This year’s game was well attended by the community. The game got a special surprise from the University of Wyoming marching band that performed in the halftime show and the booths they set up outside of the stadium.

The teamwork that was shown between the players and the coaches over the past five years is what led the Mustangs to have a five year winning streak against Kelly Walsh. A beginning highlight was when Kelly Walsh kicked a field goal and Natrona blocked it. Middle Linebacker Wyatt Powell #11 grabbed the ball and ran it to the endzone to make the score 7-0. Natrona then went on to get Running Back Kaeden Wilcox #23 to put the score 14-0 by punching it in from the one yard line. The Trojans managed to get on the scoreboard once, but the Mustangs had a cause for celebration by keeping their winning streak alive for the fifth year in a row.