NCHS DECA emerges victorious from state

Calla Shosh

NCHS emerged victorious from State DECA. On February 22, 2021, NCHS DECA students attended the state competition. The day began with opening sessions, followed by role plays. In these role plays students expressed their knowledge in a variety of subjects. Then, students moved on to team role plays. Lunch followed. 

In order to protect the health of students and advisors, only two students were seated to a table. Students were given meal tickets for different dishes ahead of time, and that dish was brought to them. Though many students enjoyed their cheeseburgers, several students disliked their veggie rolls or Caesar Salads. Shelby Lopez, an NCHS sophomore and experienced DECA member said, “No, it (the veggie roll)  wasn’t good at all.” The veggie role meal appeared to include a tortilla filled with burnt broccoli and a ginormous sugar cookie.  After lunch, students had fun while judges scored all events. 

DECA Symbol in blue
At the State DECA awards ceremony, NCHS students took home several first and second place trophies. Brady Dutcher (12) took 1st Place in Personal Finance and Sports and Entertainment Marketing Team Event. Cassidy Madrid (12) also took 1st Place in the Sports and Entertainment Marketing Team Event. Calla Shosh (10) took 1st Place in the Financial Consulting Event. Sidney Hurlbut (11?l) and Elena Galles (12) took 1st Place in the Franchise Business Plan Event. Shelby Lopez (10) took 1st Place at Integrated Marketing Campaign for a Service. Students who placed 1st or second will qualify for DECA’s national competition, ICDC, in April.

After discovering a room with pool tables, quarter game machines, and darts, students participated in several games of pool. At the awards ceremony, NCHS students took home several first and second place trophies. 

Several students also qualified for International Career Development Conference (ICDC). Brady Dutcher (12) took 1st Place in Personal Finance and Sports and Entertainment Marketing Team Event. Cassidy Madrid (12) also took 1st Place in the Sports and Entertainment Marketing Team Event.  Calla Shosh (10)  took 1st Place in the Financial Consulting Event.  Sidney Hurlbut (11?l)  and Elena Galles (12) took 1st Place in the Franchise Business Plan Event. Shelby Lopez (10) took 1st Place at Integrated Marketing Campaign for a Service. Jazmine Stovall (10), Allan Catellier(10), Nathan Atchley(9), SheaLynn Wolfe(10), Emily Patten(10), Bryce Hebert (10), Madie Grinstead(9), Ashiss Taylor(9), and Kaitlyn Hartley(11) also placed at state DECA.  

What were student’s favorite parts of the day?  Lopez said,  “I really liked meeting new people, and the experience was fun. Mostly just meeting new people.” SheaLynn Wolfe (sophomore) said that her favorite part was “doing the projects and experiencing everything that happened,” while Emily Patten said it was, “Awards so we could see what we did best.”