Diver Wins State

Kylie Berryman, Reporter

Even through all the tough times with Covid-19, Gabby Haigler (12) was still able to win State Champion Diving for the NCHS Girls Dive and Swim Team. Gabby is a three time state champion who took fifth place her freshman year. Before joining the swim team Haigler was a hard working gymnast, but due to an injury she unfortunately had to stop doing gymnastics. She later joined the swim and dive team her freshman year. Haigler was able to meet many new people and became good friends with all of them.  

Gabby plans on going to the University of Wyoming to major in nursing and is joining the diving team. Being a diver is a sport that requires a lot of focus. Haigler said, “When I’m on the board, I’m calm. No matter what happened the last time I was up there. I focus on what I’m doing in the moment, and make sure to take it step by step.”

The mindset of divers is important. Haigler said, “The most important thing I could tell a future diver is to take competitions dive by dive. Don’t let one bad dive ruin the rest of the meet. A good attitude will be your best asset. Also, don’t get discouraged too easily; diving is an extremely difficult sport that involves a lot of mental toughness, but persistence will eventually pay off.” Haigler is a devoted diver who loves what she does. 

Haigler said, “The best advice I could give to someone is not to take anything too seriously. You have to remember to have fun. It’s okay to be dedicated, but you can’t let yourself be completely consumed by one thing, it’ll get too stressful.” Haigler’s advice can apply to anyone regardless of whether they are a diver or not.