NCHS Hopes for MAC Bridge Funding

Calla Shosh, Reporter

NC students congrugate in the student parking lot after rain storm.
Calla
NC students congrugate in the student parking lot after rain storm. NC is trying to get funding to build a bridge to the MAC. THis could mean no more walks through the snow for students headed to PE.

One of the most dreaded passing periods for students is the one between PE and other classes. In the winter time, the path to PE is often ice covered and cold. Though funding to build a bridge to PE was denied earlier this year, it has been brought up again for review. If funding is provided, construction on the bridge could start in a couple of years after the design has been finalized.

When asked about the NC bridge, Braydin Sisco, an NC freshman said,  “I think [the bridge] would be really convenient. I think it’d be really good for everybody.” One reason for building the bridge is to help students get to PE faster on cold days. Weather often can impact tardiness to PE. Sisco’s comment on whether the weather impacts her travels to PE was, “ I mean it can. Sometimes it really sucks walking out in the cold. Other times it can be slick and dangerous.”   

All these are concerns of many NC students. Being caught between the rock and the hard place of slipping and injuring oneself or being late for PE is a difficult conundrum that many students frequently find themselves in. Also, the MAC doors are often locked leaving many slow students stuck outside in the cold. This is also a safety concern as these locked out students are often unsupervised as they wait to be allowed in. 

One solution would be to have the MAC doors unlocked, though in the interest of a secure campus this is perhaps not the best solution. Usually, a staff member is standing between doors early in the day to let students in. Having a staff member for the few minutes of passing period could greatly reduce the number of locked out students. Extending the length of passing period by a minute on especially bad weathered days could also help curb student tardiness. By giving students extra time to get to class, they wouldn’t have to be late or risk bodily harm. 

Many staff and students hope NC gets funding for the bridge. NC officials must believe getting the funding isn’t too far fetched as they have already asked architects to apply for the project. A bridge may make the walk to PE safer and more efficient, but probably won’t make students more eager to attend PE, as it is the one class in which participation is all of your grade and exercise and effort is required.