President’s Day

Calla Shosh, Reporter

President’s Day is a holiday that takes place this year on February 17, 2020. For many students, this is just a day off, and they do not know the history or significance of this day. The holiday was created after the death of George Washington in 1799 to honor George Washington. However, it wasn’t until 1885 that it became a national holiday. This holiday was celebrated in Washington D.C at first, but was later celebrated all across the nation. 

In the late 1960’s an act called the Uniform Monday Holiday Act shifted the date of President’s day. The Uniform Monday Act moved many holidays from their usual dates, to Mondays. Many believed that by giving workers three day weekends instead of days off in the middle of the week, this would reduce holiday related absences. The Uniform Monday Act allowed Washington’s birthday to be combined with Lincoln’s birthday, which falls on February 12th, to form President’s day, though the date is officially still called Washington’s Birthday. However, Lincoln’s birthday was already being celebrated in Illinois as it’s own separate holiday. The change of dates officially took effect in 1971. Columbus Day, Memorial Day and Veterans Day are among other dates that were shifted due to the Uniform Monday Act. 

Several states use President’s Day to celebrate other notable leaders besides George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. In Arkansas, Daisy Gatson Bates is celebrated and in Alabama Thomas Jefferson is celebrated. In the 1930s, during the great depression, President’s Day was widely celebrated as a symbol of hope for the Nation. In 1932, The purple heart medal was first awarded to injured soldiers on President’s Day. 

Today, many stores have President’s Day sales. Some, like Best Buy and Brooklyn Bedding, had sales of up to 36% off in 2019. Most of the sales are online, but people can still find great in store deals as well. In Natrona County School District, students get President’s Day off.