Self Help: Personal Hygiene

Destiny Kathriner, Journalist

Hello fellow students of NC. I’m here to give you a few tips on personal hygiene. Now, I know that this may be a new discovery to some, and maybe you’re going to learn about it just now, but it is a worthwhile lesson to learn! I understand that some people personally don’t care if they smell, but trust me, everyone around you does. If you don’t brush your teeth, you get icky breath from your breakfast like the milk you drink, or even the garlic bread you had last night. Everyone can smell it. I promise. If you need toothpaste or a toothbrush, the nurse usually has some in stock for you to take home, along with deodorant and sometimes even floss.
Before you come to school, you might have a morning schedule. Or, you just simple stay in bed until the very last minute, then get up and throw on clothes. If you have a morning care routine, good for you, if not, then I have the perfect tips for you. I’m all for sleeping in as late as possible because I’m most definitely not a morning person. What I do is I find all my clothes I’m going to wear to school the night before and put them on the shelf in the bathroom along with my toothbrush, and toothpaste. This way, when I wake up I can just go straight into the bathroom.
While I’m waiting for the hot water to heat up in the morning, I go in the kitchen and start a pot of coffee, go shower for 5 minutes, and by the time I’m done there’s half a pot. I drink a few cups, then I brush my teeth (no one wants coffee breath all day). I take my perfume, deodorant, and makeup and finish when I get to my parking spot at school. This makes for stress free, easy mornings.
Now, if you’re having a problem with your gym clothes smelling up the whole locker room, here is the best advice I can give to you. Take your gym clothes home EVERY FRIDAY and wash them. You should also put on deodorant and a small amount of cologne/perfume before and after going to your P.E. class. It also pays off to have one or two extra pairs of socks in your gym locker if you wear sandals or flip flops and forget to bring some with you in the mornings. This helps prevent stinky feet smells from your tennis shoes. No one likes the smell of sour sweat.
I know that some of you are new to the whole “smell good” routine, but perfume and cologne are not showers in a can! They only add to your clean smell and make you smell like some sweet or masculine smells. It is hard to focus on doing school work when all you can smell is Jimmy in the corner with his Old Spice fermenting on his entire body, from his 38 layers in the past 5 hours. If you’ve never used perfume or deodorant before, hold the bottle about 2 feet away from your torso, then spritz 2 times, no more. Use the picture below as help if you have never used deodorant before.