A Thank You to the Custodial Staff

Aiden Foley, Journalist

Custodians spend their days picking up trash, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning floors, cleaning and stocking bathrooms, making sure buildings are secure, cleaning windows, and minor building maintenance and repairs. They make sure our school looks its best at all times and they stay late to clean up our messes. We always do things and don’t think about the ones who are cleaning up the mess we made. We throw things, spill things, break things, etc. Where do you think all the gum you put under the table goes? The custodians have to scrape it all off.
The custodians include: Linda Edwards, Aaron Hendricks, Gegi Scott, Stan Yount, Darren Herbst, Dan Benson, Teddie Bird, Olga Frontela, Myron Miller, Renato Guarin, Roobens Noel, Charlie Streeter and Sue Kegler. They work so hard every day and they almost never get a thank you from us, the student body.
There is the morning staff that comes in at 7 am to 3:30 pm. The night staff arrives at 3:30 pm to 11 pm. Once you meet them you realize just how nice they are and how lucky we are to have a nice patient, staff  as we do. To make their jobs easier, we just all need to simply pick up after ourselves, say thank you, and think about our actions.
I picked up trays after freshmen lunch and they gave me an NC coin and a raffle ticket to say thank you. We shouldn’t need prizes to do something good. To connect to you, Mr. Beast (a YouTuber) donated $100,000 to Team Trees and Elon Musk donated 1M dollars to Team Trees. They don’t expect anything out of their donation besides saving the planet. We shouldn’t need something in return for helping our custodians; we should just help out of the goodness of our hearts.
And as a collective, I think we should say thank you to our amazing custodians.
To the custodians:
Thank you for everything you do for our school. Thank you for always being so nice and patient with us. Some students may be rude when it comes to picking up their trash and they may give you attitude, but you guys (and the lunch staff) work the absolute hardest out of everyone in the school. And you deserve more recognition and more thank you’s from the students.