ADHD inhibits students’ abilities to focus

The effects ADHD has on students in school and the value of students helping other students

Phillip Maes

A common behavioral disorder is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD. ADHD is a disorder that makes it difficult to pay attention and control impulsive behaviors. Symptoms of ADHD are not being able to wait for one’s turn, lack of focus and much more. One of the only treatments for ADHD is medication. Treatment is an effective way to manage symptoms.

ADHD can make students fidgety, restless, talk too much, or interrupt the class. Some kids with ADHD are likely to have other learning disabilities.

Even though ADHD is not considered a learning disability, it does have effects on kids’ ability to learn.

ADHD doesn’t necessarily prevent a student from achieving a quality education, but it does negatively affect their ability to retain information. Due to lack of focus students with ADHD often can fully take in and understand complete lessons; they might retain bits and pieces of a lesson, but are often unable to obtain the whole concept or lesson. NC teachers often try to counteract this by incorporating activities that involve applying the information just taught after lectures to get students interacting and help them retain the concepts taught.

Teachers aren’t the only ones at NC who are able to help students with ADHD or who just aren’t able to concentrate for long periods of time. Students helping other students understand information or stay focused can have a big impact. It is important that students help get other students back on track without making the struggling student feel uncomfortable.

A student who is unable to concentrate will be even less likely to concentrate if they are feeling embarrassed or ashamed. Instead of publicly calling out a student who seems unfocused or confused, students should quietly offer their help in a friendly way that shows the struggling student they are only trying to help. It can be hard for people with ADHD to seek help so offering help is very important and can have a huge impact.