The Gusher

NC drama department presents “Oklahoma!”

Centerstage%3A%0AEthan+Cox+opens+the+musical+%E2%80%9COklahom%21%E2%80%9D+in+the+John+F.+Walsh+auditorium.+A+section+of+the+musical+was+performed+in+front+of+many+students+and+staff.+Many+who+attended+the+showing+thought+the+musical+was+very+well+done+and+entertaining+to+watch.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Centerstage:
Ethan Cox opens the musical “Oklahom!” in the John F. Walsh auditorium. A section of the musical was performed in front of many students and staff. Many who attended the showing thought the musical was very well done and entertaining to watch.

Centerstage: Ethan Cox opens the musical “Oklahom!” in the John F. Walsh auditorium. A section of the musical was performed in front of many students and staff. Many who attended the showing thought the musical was very well done and entertaining to watch.

Lisa Gray

Lisa Gray

Lisa Gray

Maddy Frazier

The first musical, “Oklahoma!” made by, Oscar Hammerstein, American librettist, theatrical producer, and theatre director of musicals with Richard Rodgers an American composer of music was held March 14th-16th and March 21st-23rd in the John F. Welsh Auditorium.

This play takes play in Oklahoma before it was a state, with Curly Mclain and Laurey Williams, a couple that fights all the time and love each other, but won’t admit it. With a conflict of Jud Fry interfering with Curly and Laurey’s relationship. This musical also includes a side plot including their love with Ado Annie and Will Parker. “Oklahoma!” has singing, jokes, and drama, including some dancing the NC dance team participated in. They did a ballet which was very different from what they would do on the basketball court or the football field.

Zach Schneider the director of the musical and drama teacher picked this play for its 75th anniversary. Schneider said, “It had 80 students involved in the show, all the student orchestra, the dance team, the theatre kids and more.” This play wasn’t just to celebrate its anniversary it has meaning behind it to the students and the teacher(s) involved. Schneider said, “I like to challenge the students as much as I can, it meant a lot to me that they rose to the challenge and most schools cut out the ballet, we didn’t.”

Many teachers and students participated in watching the performance shared their opinions on the musical. Deb Harris, a member of staff at NC and the mother of Cameron Allender who played Jud said, “I loved the play, I know a lot of the kids and it’s really cool the theatre and music kids could work together.” Jenifer Scherlin, library staff said, “It was really good.” Many staff and students loved the musical  and thought the way it was played out was very surprising.

About the Photographer
Lisa Gray, Advisor

I have been an advisor for journalism for well over 20 years. My students always work hard to deliver a product of which they can be proud. We hope you...