NC students experience vintage Hollywood 2019 prom

Back to Article
Back to Article

Enjoying their victories:
Julie Jarrard and Garret Clasen stand on stage right after being crowned prom king and queen. Both were very excited to receive these titles. The crowd was also excited for these two and cheers were heard all throughout the Hangar where NC Prom 2019 was held on April 6th.

Enjoying their victories: Julie Jarrard and Garret Clasen stand on stage right after being crowned prom king and queen. Both were very excited to receive these titles. The crowd was also excited for these two and cheers were heard all throughout the Hangar where NC Prom 2019 was held on April 6th.

Abby Gruner

Abby Gruner

Abby Gruner

Abby Gruner, Editor

The 2019 NCHS Prom took place Saturday April 6, 2019 at the Hangar in Bar Nunn. The theme for the event was “Vintage Hollywood.” Vintage or old Hollywood is defined as; “Of or pertaining to the American film industry circa 1930 to 1945 especially with regards to the fashion and the glamour of the era” (Collinsdictionary.com). Icons of this age include Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe. NC has been putting on Prom since around 1924 when vintage Hollywood was just Hollywood.

The student council captured the theme by spelling out “Hollywood” with large white letters in a corner next to a “walk of fame.” The walk of fame had stars with the names of seniors.There was also a red carpet laid out next to a station for pictures. At the picture station there were life size cutouts of Marilyn Monroe and John Wayne. Many students took advantage of this picture station throughout the night.

Students also enjoyed the pool tables on the left side of The Hangar. These pool tables offered an alternative to and a break from dancing.

The first song to get a majority of the students who attended prom dancing was the classic, “Macarena.” Up to this point most in attendance had been standing around talking to each other and this song got them onto the dance floor.

Several students captured the vintage Hollywood theme in their outfits. One such student was senior, Breanne Wilkinson. When Wilkinson thinks of vintage Hollywood she thinks of “late night stars and bright signs.” Wilkinson also said that in general to her vintage Hollywood is “glam, glitz, bougie.” When asked what her favorite part about coming to prom was Wilkinson said, “just being able to dance around with people I love.” Two other students to coordinate their dresses to match the theme were seniors Haley Ellingson and Cassidy Alvarado. They too showcased flashy golden gowns that clearly resembled the vintage Hollywood Theme. Ellingson and Alvarado both agreed a highlight of their prom experience was getting to coordinate their outfits together.

Throughout the night all in attendance had the opportunity to vote for the students nominated for prom king and queen. Around 10:30 pm the heavily awaited results for prom king and queen were announced by Diana Fittje, Junior class president. The results were:

Queen: Julie Jarrard

King: Garrett Glasen

1st Attendants: Braden Busch, Avery Potter

2nd Attendants: Dani Busch, Evan Corson

3rd Attendants: Yahav Shraiber, Maddie Gillum

4th Attendants: Alysa Orr, Jhett George

What was it like to win prom queen? Julie Jarrard said, “It was pretty exciting. I was pretty happy about it. It (being nominated for prom queen) started as a joke, but then I actually wanted to win. But I didn’t expect to actually win.” Jarrard’s favorite part about winning was how excited all her friends got after her name was announced for winning prom queen.