Commercial music students to run Natrona Palooza

Abby Gruner, Editor

Natrona Palooza is an annual event where NC students and staff have the opportunity to perform in front of the school. This event is put on as a fundraiser for the Make-a-Wish foundation. The ninth annual Natrona Palooza is happening May 23, 2019 from 8:00am to 3:30pm in the auditorium. All acts performing had to audition in either the band room or the choir room April 15-18.

In the past, this event has been put on by Student Council, but this year the brand new commercial music class is largely in charge of the event. Shawn Weis, the NC band director and teacher of commercial music, said that part of what the commercial music class is learning is how to run events like Natrona Palooza. In the class they learn “how to run lights, run sound, perform, do everything. So it (running Natrona Palooza) fits that class perfectly. So we (the performing arts department) asked if that class in particular could oversee the whole event.”

When Garret Clasen was asked why he wanted to be in commercial music he said, “I wanted to revisit kit (drumset).” Clasen also said that he thought it would be fun to get to play pop music as opposed to Jazz music, and that he wanted to learn how to run sound so this class seemed like a good fit for him. Clasen thought that this year’s Natrona Palooza will be better than it has been in the past because of the extra help the commercial music students are going to lend to the custodians who have run sound in the past. Clasen said that he thinks musicians pairing with Student Council will also improve the event this year.

Multiple performing arts classes are going to perform at Natrona Palooza such as commercial music and percussion ensemble. This year Weis said that the aim is to have a large diversity of acts and that he hopes to have “a little of everything.” Weis said the two factors that decide if an act will be allowed to perform are “Is it school appropriate and is it entertaining?”