Manners Running Rampant

A growing negative atmosphere in the school is causing a disruption to our learning experience here at NCHS.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Manners Running Rampant

The chair was found outside of the library and is a sure sign of disrespect to school property. Just because it is there does not mean that you can break it, it is disrespectful to the school and to the taxpayers who pay for those chairs.

Bailey Bonner

Bailey Bonner

Bailey Bonner

Miss Manners

Our current situation with manners has gotten out of hand. As I walk around the school all I can see is the trash, the disrespect and the broken chairs that we can never seem to find replacements for. The current attitude at the school has gotten to a low point where it doesn’t take much to see the disrespect. Maybe I am over exaggerating, but when you get told a story about how a teacher is being disrespected by a student just because the student didn’t want to do what they were told, you will start to see that I have a little more merit than expected.

Talking to fellow student Sophie Wille, a junior, she said “I think that as a school  community we need to put more value in common sense and basic manners” and I wholeheartedly agree with her. Though it is not everyone, the collective attitude in this school has really made for an univiting atmosphere in a place where most students already do not want to be.

If you take a second to look around you when you are walking down the halls of this school you can see what I am talking about: trash littered on the ground, backpacks left where people can trip over them and the purposeful mess and yes, that does actually imply that some of these students are putting in a conscious effort to be as horrible as possible.

The cafeteria workers, the people in charge of serving us lunch, are at the brunt of the disrespect. These women are always there, before, during, and after breakfast and lunch giving us our food and making sure that the area we eat in is clean. Even the area by the library gets cleaned by them. One of those ladies, Melissa Robbins, said “I think we should take away the extra food when they leave it on the floor.”

Walking around the hallways has become almost apocalyptic. With how slow some students walk, it is almost like walking behind an oblivious zombie. For many students the want to go to class is pretty low. Most of us don’t really want to be here, but adding in factors such as other students walking really slow makes getting to class even more of a hassle. This is especially true if you are walking in front of the library where you can always find a congregation of students clumped together during passing periods making it almost impossible to get around them.

There is also the continuing hassle of lunchtime. Though I will admit that the problem has been getting better, the progression has been rather sluggish. There is still the problem with trash, though, and that does include the trash outside and in the parking lots. Seriously guys, the trash can is literally a foot away and you still can’t get your candy wrappers in the trash? Yeah, yeah, I know you are high schoolers who have probably just had to walk up and down the stairs and you are so very tired, but seriously what is a couple extra steps to throw away your trash, are you really going to argue that another step will cataclysmically ruin your legs?

Yeah, I didn’t think so, please clean up after yourselves, you’re not animals.

Talking to a fellow student, Karson Potter, he said, “I’ve noticed how disrespectful our students have been recently to the faculty and staff here at NCHS. It is creating a more toxic environment in the school.” I couldn’t agree more. Students have become less focused on the academic part of school and more focused on the social aspect of being with their friends and apparently to how much they can mouth-off to their peers with a lot of unnecessary cursing involved. I don’t understand why we need to be mean to each other, if it has nothing to do with you then why do you have to get involved in their business?

Okay, maybe I will admit that I have been a little too harsh this time compared to the last time I was speaking to you, but guys, come on. We are in high school now. We have responsibilities now. If we want to be taken seriously from now on then we need to start acting more mature and take responsibility for our actions. It doesn’t take much effort to be kind to both your teachers and your fellow students. So I am now challenging you to be kind and respectful. It doesn’t have to be big, but just a simple act can go a long way in making things better, and I would like to see things get better.