The Gusher

A look into the soda fountain

Connor Vosbein, Reporter

The Rialto Soda Fountain on the corner of 2nd and Center Street has a lot of history. The little shop in the Rialto Theater building has been part of Casper’s history since 1921. It was once a cigar shop with a soda fountain in the building. The shop belonged to various owners until it was closed in 2016 after the owner passed away. A big remodel took place and the Rialto Soda Fountain was reopened earlier in 2018. Now the space is a family friendly establishment that no longer serves actual cigars. Instead, milk chocolate cigars are sold to honor the history of the cigar shop.

The Soda fountain serves handmade ice cream, milkshakes and malts; all of which you can add toppings to such as butterfinger bits, oreo bits, chocolate chips, m&m’s, caramel, marshmallows and more. Most importantly, they serve soda prepared just like back in the day, with 40 different flavors of soda that can be mixed. People can find the right mix of syrups to make their own perfect soda. Rialto Soda fountain also serves food like hot dogs, popcorn, chicken, pizza and a daily lunch special that comes with a 16oz soda. You can call about 15 minutes ahead so the food will be hot and ready for you to pick up. In the immediate downtown area the soda fountain will deliver. At the soda fountain you can get your hands on some vintage candy such as rock candy and old fashioned hard candies along with other candies. They sell other desserts such as brownies, cookies and delicious ​New York cheesecake slices.

With so many great foods and snacks in one place the Rialto Soda Fountain is the perfect place for students to go if they’re looking for a blast from the past. It’s close proximity to the school makes it an easy place to go if they want some milkshakes for a great price with prices varying between five to nine dollars depending on how many toppings they choose. The Rialto Soda Fountain is a place full of Casper’s history and the owner loves to share the history of the building and how it’s changed over the years.

I love their milkshakes. They are the best I’ve had; nothing beats homemade ice cream and the toppings are great. The fountain looks authentic on the inside. It’s as if I walked into the past to a much harder but simpler time.