The Gusher

Speech and Debate Update

The speech and debate team has had a successful season and ends in March with state and National Qualifiers Tournament

Phoenix Bounds, Reporter

There are many great clubs and activities at the school; one of which is Speech and Debate coached by Mary Hoard. The speech and debate team is where a group of students get together to practice different arguing techniques while arguing for a select point or idea. The topics for this year have included whether or not the United States Federal Government should substantially reduce its restrictions on legal immigration to the United States.

The topics for debate can vary from politics to national events and many more. The activity gives students a stage where they can share their vast knowledge and opinions on specific topics. The have attended a vast amount of events as well as hosting the Mustang Classic which took place February 2-3. The Mustang Classic was a great event with over 35 schools in attendance over the two day period.

On January 14th, the team competed at a meet at Kelly Walsh and the team placed second overall. With outstanding performances from all members, the team racked up two first-place finishes and multiple top 5 finishes. The team was very competitive almost earning them the first place as a team, but they ultimately fell short. However, this is nothing to be ashamed of because as stated before, the Mustangs and Fillies had extraordinary performances from multiple students.      

The team also had an event February 14th-19th in which students traveled to Havard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. This was Harvard’s 45th annual speech and debate tournament. Fifteen students from the school traveled to this event and made the school extremely proud of their great placings along with their hard work. Among the placements by the team was Taliah Blom who won the leadership bowl. The trip to Harvard was a massive success for the team and left an impressive reputation for the school around the nation. This event also gave the team a priceless experience and everlasting memories. The experience gained by the team is very valuable as it allowed the students to learn from the very best in the business and to grow as speech and debate competitors. Most importantly it allowed them to learn and improve as students and people within society.

The speech and debate team will finish their season with the state tournament in Riverton and the District tournament in Rock Springs to qualify for Nationals in June.