The Gusher

• March 19Bowen Condelario wins scholarship to Carnegie Mellon for summer AI program

Rachel’s Challenge Assembly

A touching presentation about a girl who wanted to touch millions of hearts.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rachel’s Challenge Assembly

Jimmy (JB) hosts the Rachel’s Challenge club to influence kindness.

Bailey Bonner

Bailey Bonner

Bailey Bonner

Tali Wagner, Reporter

November 29th, 2018. NC was presented with an assembly about a young girl named, Rachel Scott, who was shot during the Columbine High School massacre. Our presenter, Jimmy (JB), taught our school many lessons that we took to heart. During the assembly Jimmy talked about how people shouldn’t take anyone or their own lives for granted, Everyday people should spend it with the ones they love and make sure to tell them they are truly loved by others.

One of the other things he taught his listeners was to just be kind and spread it. After the assembly Jimmy held a meeting with the students in our school who wanted to participate to help start a “Chain Reaction” which was also a main focus of Rachel’s story. NC senior, Braxton Sambrano said, “The part I took most to heart was probably that the girl, Rachel, knew that she wasn’t going to grow old or live another year. She didn’t let anything get to her because she knew what was right and how things should be. It was just intense to see someone so young have such views in life.”

What lesson did the people that participated in the assembly take out of it? Sambrano said, “I learned that you should live each day like there is no tomorrow.”

Many people in our school learned a lot from the presentation. Many emotions filled the room as we watched the videos and listened to our presenter talk. It was an important lecture for many to finally switch up how they feel and treat others, themselves, and other things in their everyday life.

What did the students watching the assembly take most to heart? NC freshman, Racheal Stubbs said, “When he showed us that she was kind to people and wanted other people to be kind to people.” What was the audience learning from the assembly? Stubbs said, “You should treasure each moment you have with your loved ones because they could be there one minute and gone the next”.

Wasting time, doing nothing and being ignorant with some things may create a problem as time goes by and people pass on.

Rachel’s challenge consists of five concepts inspired by Rachel Joy Scott and her brother, Craig: 1. Look for the best in others. 2. Dream big. 3. Choose positive influences. 4. Speak with kindness. 5. Start your own chain reaction.

Kindness can make a big impact on someone’s life and it costs absolutely nothing.