The Gusher

NC Mustangs sweep first cross country ski meet of the season

NC boys have strong showing on their home course

Back to Article
Back to Article

NC Mustang Ben Radosevich pulls away from the rest of the Varsity boys during the first nordic ski meet of the season. The meet took place on December eighth on Casper Mountain. Radosevich went on to comfortably win the race by 43 seconds.

Abby Gruner

Abby Gruner

Abby Gruner

Abby Gruner, Editor

The first cross country ski meet of the 2018-19 season was a success for the NC Mustangs and Fillies. The Don Jacobson Memorial ski meet was held on the Casper Nordic trails December 8 and 9. On Friday, December 7, freestyle team relays took place. The classic races on Saturday consisted of varsity competitors skiing five kilometers and JV competitors skiing three kilometers.
Highlights of Saturday’s races included NC boys winning both the varsity and JV categories with NC senior Ben Radosevich winning the Varsity boys and sophomore Henry true winning the JV category. Senior Adam Pickett came in 43 seconds after Radosevich to take the top two spots in the Varsity Boys category for NCHS. The three additional Varsity Mustangs who placed in the top twenty were senior Evan Corson in seventh, junior Carter Boatright in 11th, and sophomore Max Radosevich in 14th.
On the girls’ side junior Madyson Willis led the Fillies placing fifth in the Varsity girls race. Places four through sixth were extremely tight in this race with Lander’s Molly Fehringer edging out Willis by less than a second and Jackson’s Kate Brigham coming in just over a second after.

Willis said, “I’d say the finish was close and it came to who had enough kick (wax) left for that final sprint to the line. We (Fehringer, Willis, and Brigham) knew it’d be close while we were in the race and it came down to those last few deciding moments. The other girls (Fehringer and Brigham) were really strong and I love that I had the chance to fight for a finish like that, and next time I plan to be the one with that last effort to make it across first.” Three other Fillies (all sophomores) raced fast enough to place in the top twenty of the Varsity girls with Lu Elder taking 10th, Isabella brown taking 11th, and Kiana Hiser taking 15th.

One step closer towards accomplishing a goal: Henry True races towards his victory in the JV boys race. When asked how he felt before the race True said he was “a little nervous” because “I felt like I needed to do well so I could move up to Varsity.” True said that moving up to Varsity is the goal he is working up to.