A new book to think about

With so many books to read, think about putting this one at the top of your list.

Bailey Bonner, Reporter

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is a story written about a boy named Charlie, who is going into high school and is typically classified as a loner and a weirdo. He meets a group of seniors who adopt him into their group and he finds out that he is now classified as a Wallflower, someone who pays attention to what other people do and is always on the outside looking in.      

Charlie is a highly naive character as he is still young, only a freshman in high school, and this presents challenges throughout the story. As Charlie goes through the process of trying to figure out who he is, he definitely struggles, and I find that that is something that most, if not all, of us can relate to.

The story is told in the form of written letters to no one in particular and showcases a variety of problems that high schoolers go through on a daily basis, such as depression and peer pressure, as well as many others that will come as a surprise to most readers. It is definitely a relatable story for both teens and adults alike as it broadcasts the voice of someone who is trying to find their way in the world. The voice in the story is definitely one of a naive teenager who has not really experienced life yet. This makes this story especially relatable as we are all just trying to find our way, just like the characters in the story.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a beautifully written story that I just couldn’t put down once I started it. The book was comparable to being on a rollercoaster, the plot moving every which way and it can kind of make you dizzy if you read it too fast, but once you’re finished with it, you want to read it again. It’s one of those books that throws new plot ideas at you out of nowhere because the point of view is from someone who doesn’t fully comprehend what is actually happening. The story is a definite page turner and a book that needs to be read at some point in your life. I always highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone who asks me for book suggestions, and I have found that the people that have read this book love it, too.

I think that all of us in our own ways can be a Wallflower, especially high schoolers. We all are trying to find our way through high school and life and there are a lot of different ways that we all go about doing that. Some people will try to find their paths through observing others and looking from the outside in, while others will put themselves in the center of everything and find their way by doing instead of just watching. Whoever you choose to be, this book is for everyone and will forever be a once in a lifetime kind of book that I feel everyone needs to read.